This morning, March 12, Sunnyvale City Manager Kent Steffens issued a local emergency proclamation in response to the coronavirus outbreak.
In a tweet sent out on Thursday afternoon, the City of Sunnyvale says, “this does NOT signify any increase in risk to our community. It allows us to strengthen our response efforts.”
The Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety shared the City’s proclamation on Twitter adding, “Our Office of Emergency Service’s continues to closely monitor the impacts of #COVID2019 on our community. We’re taking measures to stay on top of current developments & keep our community informed. Stay informed by visiting”
To learn more about Sunnyvale’s efforts visit: https://sunnyvale.ca.gov/news/topics/coronavirus.htm
At this time, the County Public Health Department has reported 48 confirmed coronavirus cases in the county.
Yesterday, neighboring city, Santa Clara, also declared a State of Emergency in response to the Coronavirus.
Back on January 31, the United States Department of Public Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar declared a public emergency for the novel coronavirus beginning on January 27, 2020. On March 4, California State Governor Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency in the State of California due to the number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in the State. On March 5, Santa Clara County declared an emergency due to the number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in the County. And then yesterday, March 11, the World Health Organization declared the novel coronavirus outbreak a global pandemic.
Yesterday, the Santa Clara County Public Health Department said they recommend canceling events of 250 or more.
“We are aware of the recommendations the White House issued today for our county as well as Seattle-King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties in Washington. We are pleased that the White House has adopted many of the recommendations the County Public Health Department previously issued,” said Santa Clara County Health Department in a statement. “However, we recommend that all community residents follow the more stringent guidance issued by the County, including the legal order to cancel all events with 1,000 or more people, and the further recommendation that all large events (including but not limited to all events of 250 or more) be canceled.”
“We continue to work in partnership with public health experts at the CDC, the state of California, and other significantly impacted communities to issue guidance to the public,” the statement continued. “We will continue to make decisions based on the best evidence available, locally relevant data on COVID-19, and the expertise of our public health officials.”