The following is a list of events happening in Santa Clara and throughout the Silicon Valley. Want to share an event to be featured? Please email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Thursday, August 15
- Age-Friendly Housing Open House: Sunnyvale Community Center Ballroom — 550 East Remington Dr., Sunnyvale (ADA accessible). 6 p.m. Questions: Contact Jenny Carloni, Housing Officer, at 408-730-7250 or JCarloni@sunnyvale.ca.gov (flier)
- Charter Review Committee Meeting: Central Park Library, Santa Clara. 6:30 p.m. Visit the website for more information.
- Racists Anonymous: United Congregational Church of Sunnyvale — 112 S. Bernardo Ave., Sunnyvale. Thursday evenings, 6:45 – 7:45 p.m. A weekly 12-Step recovery group meeting designed to end racism and redefine it. People of all races, faith (no faith at all), sexual orientation, gender, or non-binary are invited. More info: email@example.com
Friday, August 16
- Learn to Salsa Dance: Columbia Middle School Multi-Purpose Room — 739 Morse Ave., Sunnyvale. 7 – 8:30 p.m. Cost: $2 residents, $3 nonresidents, cash only. Adults 18+. This Friday class is for Basic II/Intermediate.
Saturday, August 17
- Barry’s Bootcamp: Santana Row. 8 a.m., check-in begins at 7:30 a.m. A fitness class in celebration of the opening of the new Barry’s studio, opening mid-September. To confirm and book your spot, here. Space is limited.
- Small Homes Workshop & Resource Fair: Senior Center — 550 East Remington Dr., Sunnyvale. 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. This free ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) event includes a full-day instructional workshop where homeowners can learn everything there is to know about building an ADU, as well as a resource fair where you can meet with ADU practioners. To register for the ADU resource fair visit: smallhomesbigimpactadu_resourcefair.eventbrite.com
- The Butterflies & The Bees with Pollinator Posse: Everett N. “Eddie” Souza Community Garden — 2380 Monroe St., Santa Clara., 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. (flier)
- Environmental Volunteers Present Silicon Valley Volunteer Fair: Palo Alto Baylands Duck Pond — 2560 Embarcadero Rd., Palo Alto. 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Registration is not required, but RSVP on Eventbrite is appreciated.
- Charter Review Committee Listening Session: Mission Branch Library, Santa Clara. 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Provide input on whether the City Charter should be changed to adopt the six Council district plan and sequencing currently in place for electing City Council Members by district or to examine if there is community support for some other configuration for electing councilmembers by district. Santa Clara voters will continue to elect the mayor at-large. Hosted by Charter Review Committee member Katherine Almazol. Comments may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jazz & Beyond with Tony Lindsay: Historic Murphy Ave., Sunnyvale. 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. Every Saturday July 6 – Aug. 24. sunnyvaledowntown.com
- Laughter & Lattes – A Stand-up Comedy Showcase: The Bean Scene Café — 186 South Murphy Ave., Sunnyvale. Saturday at 7 – 9 p.m. Tickets: $5 http://bit.ly/2SdgNAp Free public parking is available across the street from the venue.
Sunday, August 18
- Jacob’s Heart Super Fun Run: Santana Row. 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. Music, magic from the Surfing Magician, kids’ arts & crafts tables, face painting and more. To register, visit https://jacobsheart.org/fun-run/.
- Zucchini Bake-Off: The Forge Garden: 1051 Sherman St., Santa Clara. 6:30 – 8 p.m. Participants are encouraged to bring a dish to share that showcases this popular summer vegetable. Winners will receive a goody basket with Forge Garden goods.
Monday, August 19
- Learn to Salsa Dance: Columbia Middle School Multi-Purpose Room — 739 Morse Ave., Sunnyvale. 7 – 8:30 p.m. Cost: $2 residents, $3 nonresidents, cash only. Adults 18+. This Monday class for Basic I/Beginner.
- The City of San Jose is hosting a meeting regarding the Santa Clara University Faculty-Staff Housing Project: SCU Locatelli Student Activity Center. 6 – 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, August 20
- First-time Home Buyer Presentation: Council Chambers — 456 W Olive Ave., Sunnyvale. 12 – 1 p.m. Register here.
- Sunnyvale District Elections Workshop: Sunnyvale Office Center, Computer Training Center — 505 W. Olive Ave, Suite #315, Sunnyvale. 6 – 8 p.m. Topic: Map-drawing Training and Technical Assistance Workshop for District Elections
- Santa Clara Council and Authorities Concurrent Meeting: Santa Clara City Hall. 7 p.m.
- Racists Anonymous: St. Mark’s Episcopal Church — 1957 Pruneridge Ave., Santa Clara. Tuesday evenings, 7 – 8 p.m. A weekly 12-Step recovery group meeting designed to end racism and redefine it. People of all races, faith (no faith at all), sexual orientation, gender, or non-binary are invited. More info: email@example.com
Wednesday, August 21
- Summer Music Series featuring What the Funk Band: Historic Murphy Ave., Sunnyvale. 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. Every Wednesday through Aug. 28. sunnyvaledowntown.com
- Theatreworks Silicon Valley Presents The 39 Steps: Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts — 500 Castro St., Mountain View. Aug. 21 – Sept. 15. Tickets: $30 – $100 theatreworks.org or call (650) 463-1960
- Thursday, August 22 – Tip-A-Cop: Faultline Brewing Company — 1235 Oakmead Pkwy., Sunnyvale. 11:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Thursday, August 22 – Public Engagement Meeting for a Village Center Precise Plan for the Fremont Corners Shopping Center: Sunnyvale Community Center Ballroom — 550 E. Remington Dr., Sunnyvale. 6 – 8 p.m. This will be the first Visioning Community Meeting. For more information contact Cindy Hom, Project Planner, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-730-7411.
- Thursday, August 22 – September 15 – Pear Theatre Presents An Ideal Husband: Pear Theatre — 1110 La Avenida St., Mountain View. Tickets: $15 – $35 www.thepear.org or call (650) 254-1148.
- August 23 – 24 – Guggenheim Entertainment Presents Bette Davis Ain’t For Sissies: 3Below Theaters & Lounge — 288 S. Second St., San Jose. Tickets: $35 – $45 www.3Belowtheaters.com or 408-404-7711.
- Saturday, August 24 – Classic Car Show: Harris Lass Museum — 1889 Market St., Santa Clara. 1 – 4 p.m. There will be both classic cars and hot rods, most from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s eras. Admission is free. Hot dogs and ice cold drinks will be available for purchase from a local Boy Scout Troop that will benefit from the proceeds. Upon request, visitors will be given a complimentary docent-escorted tour of the Harris Lass Museum. For more information go to www.harrislass.org and click on the ‘Classic Car Show’ tab. Queries may be left on the Museum’s message line at 408-249-7905.
- Saturday, August 24 – Insuring the Unimaginable with Assemblymember Kansen Chu: 3000 Mission College Blvd., Santa Clara. 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Free informational seminar on consumer protection. RSVP at: https://bit.ly/2Yx7HQv
- August 24 – 25 – Italian Family Festa: History Park San Jose. Free event. www.italianfamilyfestasj.org
- Thursday, August 29 – Sunnyvale Technology Business Expo: Murphy Avenue, Sunnyvale. 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Free event. For additional information, contact Maria Rodriguez at 408-730-7702 or email@example.com.
- August 29 – September 15 – Hillbarn Theatre Presents Anything Goes: Hillbarn Theatre — 1285 East Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City. Tickets $37 – $60 www.hillbarntheatre.org or call 650-349-6411 ext. 2.
- September 6 – November 2 – Winchester Mystery House Presents Unhinged: 525 S. Winchester Blvd., San Jose. Tickets: $44 – $54 winchesterunhinged.com
- Saturday, September 7 – Annual Yard Sale: Harris Lass Museum — 1889 Market St., Santa Clara. 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. Museum members will be selling their antiques for a bargain. For more information, visit www.harrislass.org and click on the ‘Annual Yard Sale’ tab. You may also leave a query on the Museum’s message line at 408-249-7905.
- September 7 – 8 – Mountain View Chamber of Commerce presents 48th Mountain View Art & Wine Festival: Castro Street, Mountain View. Saturday 11 a.m. – 7 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Free Admission. http://mountainview.miramarevents.com/
- Saturday, September 14 – State of the City: Murphy Avenue, Sunnyvale. 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- September 14 – 15 – Santa Clara Art & Wine Festival: Central Park, Santa Clara. http://santaclaraca.gov/visitors/art-wine-festival-3746
- Sunday, September 15 – PAL Classic Car Show: Murphy Avenue, Sunnyvale. 7 – 4 p.m.
- Friday, September 20 – Rebuilding Together Silicon Valley Paint the Town: RTSV Office — 1701 S. 7th St, #10 San Jose. 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. Proceeds go to providing home repairs for neighbors in need. Tickets: $100. Adults only, casual attire. https://rebuildingtogethersv.org/support-us/paint-the-town/
- September 28 & 29 – Los Lupeños de San José GALA Concerts: Mexican Heritage Plaza Theater — 1700 Alum Rock Ave., San Jose. Tickets: $25 – $100 https://gala.brownpapertickets.com/
- October 2 – November 3 – The Stage Presents The Rocky Horror Show: San Jose Stage Company — 490 South 1st St., San Jose. Tickets: TBD www.thestage.org
- October 25 – November 16 – The Santa Clara Players Present The Odd Couple (Female Version) Tickets: TBD santaclaraplayers.org
Looking for more events? Check out our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/pg/thesvvoice/events/